Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lentsgiving

I just made up that word. Lentsgiving. It's like Thanksgiving. Only in the spring. And instead of giving thanks, you give something up.   Last year one of my friends commented that he didn't even know what Lent was. So, in case that's you, I'll start with a short explanation.

You could Google the word Lent and come up with all sorts of history and articles. But let's skip that and go straight to what it means to me. Lent is a time that I have recently started to appreciate as a way to prepare my heart for Easter. For the 40+ days before the celebration of Christ's Resurrection, I like to reflect on my own life. One year I gave up Facebook, intending to replace my time giving thanks to God for all his grace. One year I gave up pop. Last year, instead of giving something up, I wrote letters to people. As I wrote, I took stock in the the blessings I'd been provided by way of those I was writing to. 

Looking back, all of those seasons were about me. This year, I want to do something different.  Since Lent is a season to prepare for the celebration of Salvation, which has nothing to do with me or my actions, but all about God's sacrifice and grace, then maybe I should be spending this time giving Him mad props. Maybe, my actions shouldn't be something that I can pat myself on the back for, rather something that will glorify God.  So how then, would I glorify God?  This is when I dug deep for a cliche, and asked What Would Jesus Do? 

He'd probably do what He does best and SERVE people.  I've been making a list of ways I can serve others, not for my recognition, but so that God would get the credit. My list is simple. It consists of things I try to do regularly anyway, and things I can continue to do throughout the year. In the past, it has been a time to discipline myself, but then I always go back to my old habits. This year, I want to train myself to look for opportunities to love on other people. I don't want this season to be marked by an End Date; rather turn it into a six week kick off event to what I pray will be a year of blessings.

You're probably curious about my list. I started it by thinking of ways that I could give of my time, talents and resources.  My very first act of service will be to replace my neighbors mailbox. It is one good rain storm away from just being a post in the ground. I see this guy trying to re-attach his flag every time he has outgoing mail. I know it's a small thing, but it's on my heart, so there you have it.  The list also consists of bringing meals to families in need, donating to the food shelf at school, volunteering (I read somewhere that a local retirement home needs Bingo Callers! It's a win-win!), and prayer.

There are so many people looking for, and in need of, prayer. If you would like, I'd be honored to pray for any of you. You can leave a comment below, or feel free to email me at nicoledhunter@yahoo.com.    My heart would be, if you celebrate Lent or not, that God might bless you and show you ways to love on those around you.   Happy Lentsgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Bingo Calling? Well, they are certainly in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's everybody's favorite vitamin? B-12. That's right, B-12. Once more for the back row B - 12.

      Delete