Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent Letters

I have mentioned this before, but there are two times a year that I do some self reflection / self betterment assessment. The first is New Year's with a tidy list of resolutions. (This year I only have two, but I'm going with quality over quantity).  The second time is Lent. 

People have a lot of different approaches to Lent. Some approach it as a religious ritual. A practice of self denial. Some see it as the count down to the big Easter Egg hunt. Some see it as a season to reflect on our sinful nature and prepare a thankful heart for the grace of salvation. If I'm being honest, I guess I'm a little bit of all of those.

In years past, I have normally given up something. One year I gave up Facebook. That was a long 6 weeks. Last year I have up pop (soda, fizzy drink, whatever you want to call it). I usually know I have picked the right thing to give up because the night before, I get the sweats.  Last night, I was staring at the ceiling trying to come up with something that would hurt a little. The only thing that came up was chocolate.  And seriously, I got the sweats.

But this morning, as I was perusing Facebook, I saw that my lovely niece has decided to write a personal letter to someone different every day of Lent. I love this idea. Normally, when I give something up, by the second week I am not missing the "thing" or have filled my time with another distraction.  So what better way to prepare a heart of thanks than writing to people that God has put in your life?

If you would like to be on my Lent Letters list please leave a comment below. If I don't have your address (i.e.: everyone reading this that didn't get a Christmas card from us) you can send it to my personal email address:  nicoledhunter@yahoo.com  

Please, please leave a comment. If I don't get any, I may have to actually give up chocolate. And.....I just got the sweats again.

25 comments:

  1. Don't give up chocolate! Write to me!!!!! I would love a good Nikki letter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sitting down to write it now! My first comment, my first day of Lent Letter.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Kelly, You may not want a letter, but now you're gonna get one...send me an address please ;)

      Delete
  3. Put me on your letter list Nikki. Hope you all are doing well. It's B-Day month in our house, Maria, Eli and Ainsley all with a big day. Having the kids party this coming weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are doing well. I have been thinking about how lucky your little brood must be to get all of those parties and treats so close together. Hugs and kisses all around from all of us.

      Delete
  4. I know I owe you a letter from the last time you wrote me (sigh), but I love this idea and absolutely want to be on your list if you'll have me. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'll have me? Sheesh. Like you wouldn't have gotten one anyway! xo

      Delete
  5. ME! ME! ME! And if you need to fill a few days, my kids LOVE getting mail. Heck, send Darin a letter too:) BTW I'm still working on what to give up for lent, but since I've already had chocolate, popcorn, peanuts, and soda today, my list is getting smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done, done, done and done. Not yet thought. You're sometime next week. Love you all

      Delete
  6. Oh me! Me! 3115 SE 22nd Street, Ankeny, IA 50021 Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops 'Anonymous' is Teri Freeman:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you clarified that. I would have had to address it To Whom It May Concern. hee hee.

      Delete
  8. Hey Niks.....I would LOVE to get a letter from you :-) Just in case you have lost my address : 76 Great South Road, Taupiri, 3721, New Zealand.
    Cant wait xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best correspondent in the whole wide world. Of course I haven't lost your address

      Delete
  9. Hey Nikki,

    The A-Team would LOVE a letter in the mail from you - please add us to your list!!!

    Love and hugs from me and my 3 boys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love and hugs right back at you. Miss you guys!

      Delete
  10. Count me in! Melody Huff Everett, 1424 E 2nd in Winfield, KS 67156

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rue.... Please write me.

    Love,
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would LOVE a Nikki letter. :-)

    Erin Dorr
    8389 kimball dr.
    Eden prairie, mn 55347

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. I think letter writing is becoming a lost art. I would love to receive your letter or a picture of your beautiful daughters. I'm sad that Jerry is in the hospital instead of being down with you guys. I pray he is on the mend.
    Joni Volkl
    11452 Manhattan Point Blvd
    Crosslake, MN 56442

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's a fantastic idea....love it. I gave up pop and facebook at home as it's such a time sucker for me.

    Heather G

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just thinking I could use a good letter. Please mail to Houff Daddy - 1459 Balsam Lane - Lake Shore, MN 56468 - I dont even know what Lent is...

    ReplyDelete