Thursday, September 6, 2012

4 Hour Retirement

This morning after dropping the girls off to school, I decided that I should probably start training for this 5k fun run + 400 yard swim that I signed up for.   All the proceeds go to cancer research. As a bonus, I have a goal to work towards, instead of beating myself up for the 12 pounds I've gained since January.

Anyway, I finished up a short run with a quick swim in the pool. The place was quiet, except for a pair of retired ladies floating around wearing ginormous sun hats. I got to work right away thinking about the chores that also needed to be done before picking up the girls. After a few laps, my thoughts turned to those ladies. How nice it must be to be retired. To meet your best friend in the morning for iced coffee and a dip in the pool.

When I was done, I climbed out, slightly eavesdropping on the sun hat gals. I caught something about them trying to figure out a plan for people taking ownership of their roles. It occurred to me that they may have time to swim in the morning, but they still have work that needs to be done.

I started to peel my orange and felt lighter. I ate it as I took a leisurely stroll home. A slight breeze on my face, the sun on my shoulders and all the stress of the school morning sinking to the bottom of the pool.  I may have 30 more years until I can collect (hopefully) my social security checks, but for now, I will be satisfied with my 4 hours of retirement every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment