Thursday, October 6, 2011

And I was Runnnnane

You know how you can walk behind someone and think man, they're totally built for swimming. You could insert any sport. There are some folks out there that just have that natural athletic build.  Me personally, I feel like maybe I was made with "floating" in mind. And maybe not just on my own accord, but with a large cushy inner tube below me. 

That's why today, when I finished my second ever Treadmill 5k in 36 minutes, I threw my hands up in victory. I didn't really think I was going to run that far today. I mean, I had a cinnamon roll the size of my head and a pot of coffee for breakfast. I thought that by the time I got to The Club, I would be on a downward spiral toward Sugar Crashville. I even brought a book to read on the couch in the locker room in case I used up my last bits of energy checking the children into the kid's club.

But my shoes were on and my iPod charged, so I halfheartedly stepped up to my station. I had been running intervals (run walk run walk) the last few weeks (ok months); but when my first interval was up, I kept going. And then I kept going some more. Then Adam Lambert started singing What do ya want from me  into my ear and I found myself mouthing the words and nodding. Yeah? What do you want from me?  I looked at the mile marker, I was half a mile from finishing a 5k! What!

When I crossed the finish line I threw my jazz hands up in the air and shouted TAKE THAT YOU STINKIN' MACHINE!!  WHOOO HOOO! KER PLOW!  I have no idea why I yelled ker plow. It just seemed appropriate. I finished up my 2 minute cool down walk with some golfer style fist pumping and a bit of a pimp limp. Thankfully no one around me seemed to notice as most of that celebrating happened just in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment