Thursday, October 25, 2012

I should make pharmaceutical commercials


You beat yourself up a lot when you are a parent. The worst was when I would be holding my ground on an issue (no, you may not have gummy bears for dinner) and one of the girls would relentlessly hound, threaten, throw tantrums or manipulatively sweet talk me until I finally broke.  I would give in, then I would hold a grudge against them. I could picture my future and I was their doormat. Then I would feel guilty that I wasn't creating boundaries for them.

Now, thanks to Prozac, I can clearly see that I am just fostering in them the skills of persistence.  And now that I'm not spending all my time beating myself up, I use my time to be a problem solver - two of those gummy bears they're getting for dinner are actually vitamins!

No comments:

Post a Comment