Monday, April 25, 2011

Things I done learnt during Lent

I gave up soda for Lent this year.  It was harder than I thought. But not nearly as hard as giving up Facebook was last year.  On Good Friday, as I was standing near a friend gulping down her morning pop, I almost stiff armed her right in the chest so she'd drop it into my hand. But I didn't, because I was in the home stretch, and I'm not exactly sure my new friend would want to remain friends if I punched her. Anyway, during the last 40 plus days, I did manage to learn a few things.


1. Stripping furniture down to it's natural wood state is hard. I'm not really sure this has anything to do with Lent. I supposed I could try to get all wise-owl about it and connect removing varnish to the human condition. But really, I just had a hard time stripping down some coffee tables.

2. Once you notice that something has never happened to you, and you say it out loud, then it usually ends up happening to you. This is why I am never going to mention...doh, never mind. Again with the whole not-really-related-to-Lent. But a solid life lesson I think.

3. I always thought that bible verse that goes on and on about how Love is Patient, Love is Kind etc... was just a nice part God put in there for folks to read at weddings. Like he was saying "hey you crazy kids, aim for this."  But after hearing it again, I realize that God wrote that specifically for me. And more specifically for me to read right before The Bedtime Routine.

Here it is in full:
1Corinthians 13:4

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.


4. Because of the heat in Florida, parents do not stuff those beautiful plastic eggs with chocolate that they send in for the school Easter Egg Hunt. Therefore, you should not bank on getting your chocolate fix from your child's Easter Party bounty.   Also- just because you didn't like eating the Skittles as much as you would have liked to be eating the Snickers, doesn't mean that you won't gain weight from eating the Skittles.


I'm sure there were some other lessons along the way. But My Chef is pulling something out of the oven for a food show tomorrow (read: not for me. read: extra delicious. read: torture), and I am finding it hard to concentrate. I think I'll just end with a little picture of The Taz and Bear Cub on East Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment