Thursday, January 27, 2011

Next up, dumpster diving

I have been reading a blog that a friend of mine does. She rehabs furniture into really cute stuff.  (http://www.whitebutterflyfurniture.blogspot.com/) This has awakened my inner carpenter. Paired with that, I have been feeling the need to create something. Something that doesn't need to be fed, or cleaned up after, or molded into a nice human being. 

Last night I dreamt that I created shabby chic children's bedroom furniture. So today, when I drove by a house down the street from ours and saw a pile of stuff on the curbside; I had visions of salvaging some unwanted gem into an item worthy of Pottery Barn Kids.

I've never done this before.  That is, picked up a curbside item. Ok, ok, that's not entirely true. Once my roommate and I picked up a green couch off the side of the road. But it was in front of a second hand store and had a "free" sign posted on it's cushions.  And I was with her, and not by myself and we were living in a house that had sub floors and our living room furniture was two lawn chairs someone left at her housewarming party. So, my rummaging through items left on the curb of someones house, was a totally new experience.

I took Maggie for a walk past the house to kind of case the joint. From across the street, I spied a large wooden block that looked like it had potential. I felt pretty savvy taking Maggie in the wagon in case we needed to haul our gem back. Just as we were approaching the house on our return trip, I saw a truck slow down in front of the pile. Luckily, it kept going and I was left alone with to rummage. The closer we got, the the more excited I got.

The wooden block was not damaged. And it had hinges on it. It's a little toy box. Now we're talking. Shabby Chic Children's Furniture here I come. I barely slowed enough to look if there was anything else. Also, there was a woman coming out of the garage! AHH! Caught! I chucked the block in the wagon and peeled out.

Now, back in the safety of our home, I have been staring at the block box for three hours wondering what in the world to do with it. Paint it? Leave it? Let the girls play with it until it is demolished and ends up back on the curb? I don't know. Somehow I think it may end up like Maggie's bangs. A really good idea until I got involved. But really, I don't care as long as I don't have to clean it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey - that's me! Love you girl! Good luck with the box.

    ReplyDelete