Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Arrrg: Politics and Religion

Politics and Religion. I'm not a fan of either. Reading the headlines lately, I get all sorts of riled up. Birth control pills, and gay marriage and the name calling and the blah blah blah. Arrrrgh. It's maddening.

I hardly ever enter the conversations, because I tend to contradict myself.  Do I know what The Bible says about marriage and same sex relations? Yes, I do know what it says.  Do I believe in The Bible? Yes. Do I believe that Gay and Lesbian couples should be able to marry? Yes.  See what I mean.

Do I think sex is a beautiful thing that should only be enjoyed in the confines of marriage? Yes. Was I seven months pregnant in my wedding pictures? Yes.  Are you starting to see a pattern? I'd make a horrible political or religious leader.

Do I think, as a Christian, we should use The Bible to tell people they are living their lives wrong? No. Do I believe The Bible when it says there's only one guy that ever did it right? Yes. Do I think I, personally, should use The Bible as a guide to live my life? Yes. I am going to get it totally wrong? Yes.

Do I think that just because you can find scripture that appears to back up your point, that you are right? No.  Am I going to quote scripture to back up my point? Yes.

Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

I read that scripture today and thought that the words "circumcision" and "uncircumcision" could easily be replaced with the words Republican and Democrat.  If politics were actually based on loving those it is suppose to serve, then maybe campaign season wouldn't be so maddening.

No comments:

Post a Comment