Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent Day One

It's Day One of Lent. Yesterday morning, I still wasn't sure what I was going to give up. I had it narrowed down to one of three things. After tossing out American Idol, I was down to Soda and Chocolate.

I was at work (a.k.a. treadmill number 12 at the YMCA) when I realized it was Mardi Gras. A small smile crossed my face because it meant I could indulge a bit in whatever I decided I was going to give up. And by indulge, I mean seriously knock myself out.  I envisioned brownies, and chocolate glazed donuts and king sized snickers bars all washed down with a ginormous Mac.Donald's chocolate shake.

Right about then, the trainer walked by. The one that took my measurements and calculated my body fat a week ago. The one that said THIRTY TWO PERCENT of me was FAT!  The trainer that did not chuckle when I asked him "But how much of me is PHAT?"   I reminded myself of how that felt and how when I got home that day, I signed up for Weight Watchers.

So there was my answer. I could indulge in as much Soda (Pop, Coke, DP, Fizzy Drinks or whatever people in your region call it) as I wanted on Mardi Gras without actually hurting my "diet".  One the way home, I bought two bottles of the diet variety and a bag of chocolate covered raisins (just in case I ended up changing my mind at the last minute).

The whole point was to pick something that I would think about every day and use that time to think about the grace and love shown to me and in turn pour out love and grace on those around me. Since I find myself daydreaming about a gigantic Big Gulp the size of my torso on most afternoons, I think I've made the right choice.

It's Day One of Lent and so far, so good. Earlier, when the Jehovah Witness' came around, I did not give them the stink eye for ringing the door bell during nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment