Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A bathroom prayer

Today I went to a discount store. Not The Boutique. The other one. Last summer I bought some towels there for $3 for use at the lake. I expected that for $3 that they would lose their color, become thread bare and just in general, kinda suck. Well, as it turns out, they are the best $3 towels ever. I use them as my gym towels, so they get washed two to three times a week. Now that My Chef has started working out too, they seem to always be dirty. So, today I ventured to the discount mart to see if they might have some more of these little gems.

It was my lucky day. Not only did they have these towels, they were "on sale" for $2.77. What a deal! I bought three of them. I don't know why. I tend to buy things in odd numbers. I can't explain that. Anyway, in all of my excitement over the very inexpensive but very durable towels, I needed to use the restroom.

I parked my ill steering cart and headed into the lou. As I was pulling out the protective liner from it's place on the back wall, I noticed some graffiti. It read:

God Help My Son

and right below it, in different penmanship and different marker:

I'm praying for him right now

Well, a person's gotta wonder a few things after reading this.  What mother is sitting in stall #4 at the discount mart digging around in her purse for a permanent marker so she could write out her prayer request above the protective toilet seat liner holder?  Or maybe she isn't sitting. Does she have her hands on the back wall while she contemplates a "reversal" into the toilet. Is she so distraught about her son that after purging herself physically, she needs to emotionally purge what's on her mind?

And what about the person who responded? She just happens to have a metallic gold marker in her purse? How many other people came into stall #4 and prayed for the son, but just didn't have the means to document it?

I found it all a bit odd, but maybe it was genius. I mean, here I am thinking about this gal's son, three hours later. I hope he's OK. I mean, for a mother to feel so convicted as to cry out for help in the bathroom of a discount store, things have got to be pretty serious. In the end, I hope it all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment